Thursday May 17, 2012
1. Fred Eaglesmith, Friday May 18th, 8pm, St. James Hall (3214 West 10th Avenue)
Tonight's Fred Eaglesmith concert at St. James Hall is Sold Out. That's two Sold Out shows in succession! Thank you!!
If you reserved a ticket just make sure you arrive early to get a seat. Similarly, if you bought a ticket, get there early to secure a seat.
There will not be any tickets left on Stand By.
Fred has a great new band and a superb new CD - 6 Volts - his best new recording for years! www.fredeaglesmith.com
2. Mission Folk Festival, July 19-22, Great Deal for Rogues!!
Take a look at this line-up: Shooglenifty, The TeeTotallers (Martin Hayes, Kevin Crawford & John Doyle), Eliza Gilkyson, David Francey, Van Django, The Fretless, April Verch, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Pacific Curls, Renato Borghetti, plus two great bands from Denmark, two from Sweden, and heaps more! All this at Fraser River Heritage Park in Mission BC, just 50 miles east of Vancouver.
The Rogue Deal:
Adult W/E Pass: $65 (regular Early Bird price is $85)
Senior Rogue: $45 (regular Early Bird price is $55)
Rogue Youth: $40 (regular Early Bird price is $45)
$20 per Adult / Senior (regular Early Bird price is $30)
$5 Youth (accompanying - and camping with - an Adult / Senior)
The DEADLINE for booking tickets is June 30th! Please mail a cheque for the appropriate amount - stating clearly how many tickets of each type you're buying - and make it payable to Rogue Folk Club.
Mail it to
Rogue Folk Club
31 - 1465 Lamey's Mill Road
All tickets will be held at the Festival Gate for pick up.
More info: www.missionfolkmusicfestival.ca
3. Vancouver Folk Music Festival, Early Bird Special for Rogues
Weekend Passes are $122 for the folk festival this year. It's the 35th anniversary year, and here is a fabulous line-up to mark the occasion! Visit www.thefestival.bc.ca for more info.
See Rogue Folk Review (see Page 5 on the April 2012 edition for details of our Special deal for Tickets)
4. Edge On Folk, Saturday May 19th, 8an to noon, CiTR fm 101.9 and www.citr.ca
This week I'll have new releases from The Imagined Village, Justin Townes Earle, Nanci Griffith, Dar Williams, Eric Bibb, BettySoo & Doug Cox, Mariel Vandersteel, Rani Arbo & Daisy Mayhem, Del Barber, Linda McRae, and much more. Plus festival previews and whatever else I can squeeze in. Get your Long Weekend grooving on the latest sounds from Canada, UK, and around the world! Please join me for four hours of the very best in Folk / Roots / World Music, every Saturday from 8am to noon on CiTR fm 101.9, Shaw Cable 88.5fm, Telus TV Ch. 3717, and streamed LIVE (and Podcast later in the day) on www.citr.ca
5. Rogue 25th Birthday Concert, Saturday May 12th 2012, w/ C.R. Avery, Jim Byrnes, Steve Dawson Trio, The Sojourners
This concert was absolutely incredible! A packed house and a band in peak form. A truly memorable way to mark 25 Years of the Rogue Folk Club, with tributes to the music of centenarians Robert Johnson, Bill Monroe and Woody Guthrie, and 50 years of recordings by Bob Dylan and The Beatles.
Thanks so much to musical director Steve Dawson and the band. What a fantastic show!!
Thanks to everyone who came to the concert, to all the volunteers, to Kathy Campbell for supplying the band, and to Rob Nelson for a brilliant job on sound!
It was such an amazing show I didn't want it to disappear off the radar without making a bit of a fuss!
This was the Set List. (Featured vocalists in parentheses.) The whole band was on stage most of the time.
C.R. Avery - vocals, harmonica, piano
Rob Becker - acoustic bass and electric bass guitar
Jim Byrnes - introductory tales and historical narrative, vocals, guitar
Steve Dawson - vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, pedal steel, banjo, electric mandolin
Geoff Hicks - drums
The Sojourners (Khari McClelland, Marcus Mosely & Will Sanders) - vocals
1. Hold On (The Sojourners) - traditional song from Bob Dylan's 1st LP - on which it is entitled "Gospel Plow"
2. Yesterday (The Sojourners) - from The Beatles "Help!"
3. I Ain't Got No Home (Steve Dawson) - Woody Guthrie. With a fascinating historical intro by Jim Byrnes.
4. Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat (Steve Dawson) - Bob Dylan composition from "Blonde On Blonde"
5. Silvio (C.R. Avery) - Bob Dylan from "Dylan & The Dead"
6. Ramblin' On My Mind (C.R. Avery) - Robert Johnson
7. Blind Willie McTell (C.R. Avery) - Bob Dylan. Outtake from "Infidels". Released on the Bootleg Series.
8. Last Fair Deal Gone Down (Jim Byrnes) - Robert Johnson. With a fascinating historical intro by Jim Byrnes.
9. Blue Moon Of Kentucky / Workin' On A Building (Jim Byrnes) - from Bill Monroe. With a fascinating historical intro by Jim Byrnes.
- intermission -
1. Stones In My Passway (Steve Dawson) - Robert Johnson
2. Taxman (Steve Dawson) - from The Beatles "Revolver"
3. Anna [Go To Him] (Jim Byrnes) - Arthur Alexander song covered by The Beatles on "Please Please Me". Another fascinating intro by Jim Byrnes.
4. Pastures Of Plenty (Jim Byrnes) - Woody Guthrie
5. Blackbird (The Sojourners) - from The Beatles White Album. Dedicated to Dr. Martin Luther King, written by Paul McCartney as a mark of respect after Dr. King's assassination
6. I Shall Be Released (The Sojourners) - Bob Dylan. Prefaced by Khari McClelland about the disgraceful, systematic disenfranchising of black Americans (1/3 of adult black males in the USA have done time. Prisoners are not allowed to vote. Ever. Even after they have been released.)
7. Dylan & The Dead (C.R. Avery) - Not sure about the title. This was a stunning, and rather long beat-poem by C.R. about seeing Dylan and The Dead in California. And many other things besides!
8. Twist & Shout (C.R. Avery) - written by Phil Medley & Bert Russell. Covered by The Isley Brothers and later by The Beatles on "Please Please Me"
9. Like A Rolling Stone (Jim Byrnes) - Bob Dylan classic
Everyone was on their feet dancing to Twist & Shout and singing along with Rolling Stone. What a night! (How the heck do we follow that?)
Watch for Rogues Gallery updates on our website, including Videos and a Photo Slide Show.
Have a great weekend! Go Rogue!!