1. Mission Folk Music Festival this weekend! just got back to our room after a stunning opening gala concert at the Clarke Foundation Theatre in Mission. The 27th annual Mission Folk Music Festival starts tomorrow and we were treated to a very tasty smorgasbord tonight! Victoria string band and harmony trio The Sweet Lowdown kicked things off with a beautiful set. Next up was Vou from Fiji. I think they misheard the stage direction and thought they were on for 50 minutes instead of 15. Oops! Very energetic dance routines but mostly to recorded music. Anyhow, the audience seemed to like them and then came Guy Davis and Corey Harris, presenting True Blues. They sang two solo songs each then collaborated on Little Red Rooster. Great fun, but nothing could have prepared us for the controlled Balkan mayhem of The Lemon Bucket Orchestra! Fantastic band!
That show certainly whetted my appetite for a weekend which promises warm, dry, sunny weather and some amazing performances. Dervish make a rare visit to these parts from their homes in Eire. Guy and Corey will be joined by John Lee Hooker's daughter Zakiya, there will be Cuban salsa from Wil Campa, the lovely Ruth Moody will add some sublime songs, and the incomparable Cuarteto Gelato will grace the stage with some eclectic musical brilliance. All this and much more awaits you at Fraser River Heritage Park in Mission. See you there! More info onwww.missionfolkmusicfestival.ca
2. The Rogue Stage at Shorefest, July 26 and 30, August 2
Victoria's Current Swell and Toronto trio Scarlett Jane perform on the Rogue Stage at Sunset Beach from 7:30 to 9:30 on Saturday July 26th. The following Wednesday (July 30th) Spirit of the West and Locarno take the Rogue Stage and on Saturday August 2nd Jim Byrnes & The Sojourners top the bill, with Jon & Roy opening. It's a free festival of music and food carts and fun leading up to the Celebration of Light fireworks displays in English Bay. The Rogue will have an info booth and we will have some live performances and jamming from 5pm, so come on down and say Hi! Bring a friend or three and maybe even join in. We are also looking for some help with the booth, so we'd love to see you there!
3. Colleen Rennison w/ Steve Dawson and the Black Hen Band, Thursday July 31, 8pm, St. James Hall (3214 West 10th Avenue) Vancouver singer / actor launches her first solo album, and it's a stunner! Colleen covers songs by The Band, Tom Russell, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young and more. She sings with the raw power and highly-charged emotion of a latter-day Janis Joplin, and the band is smokin' hot! Tickets are selling fast and we expect a sell-out, so book now! And don't worry. There will be a bar! Tickets and info on www.roguefolk.bc.ca
4. Help Wanted We are looking for a part-time Admin. Assistant at our Granville Island office. Duties include accounting data entry and general office tasks. Approx 5 hours per week - perhaps more - at $15 per hour. Experience desirable but not essential. Please send resume to Steve Edge, Rogue Folk Club, 1504 Duranleau Street, Vancouver, B.C. V6H 3W1. Or email to email@example.com. Deadline for applications: Friday August 8th
5. The Edge On Folk, Saturdays 8am to noon, CiTR fm 101.9 and www.citr.ca Heather McCain will host the show this week. She is doing a fine job filling in for me on my weekends away at festivals, so tune in and hear what she will choose to play from the vast array of incredible folk and roots music from next door, across the continent and across the pond. I'll be back on August 2nd