AGM Notice / Calling all Dead Heads, Dawg Hounds and Bluegrass aficionados!
Thursday May 23, 2019
1. The Nell & Jim Band, Thursday May 23rd, 8pm, St. James Hall (3214 West 10th Avenue)
This concert is a must-see for any fans of David Grisman, Fairport Convention, Old & In The Way, John Reischman & The Jaybirds, Bluegrass / Celtic / Jazz / Folk / Americana! Jim Nunally (ex Jaybird) on guitar, banjo, vocals, and his partner Nell Robinson on vocals & flute will make their Vancouver debut joined by their band (Rob Reich on accordion, Jim Kerwin on bass, and Alex Aspinall on drums).
This is a band with considerable pedigree! Jim Nunally played guitar with The David Grisman Bluegrass Experience for 13 years, and with John Reischman & The Jaybirds for even longer. Jim Kerwin was Grisman's bass player for over 30 years, and succeeded John Kahn in the legendary Bay Area bluegrass combo Old & In The Way (alongside Grisman with Jerry Garcia, Peter Rowan and Vassar Clemens. Still one of my favourite bluegrass bands of all time!)
This is not just a powerful instrumental combo, though. The vocal harmonies of Nell and Jim are spine-tinglingly wonderful! And their choice of material is exemplary. Literally something for everyone! (Click here for more information).
There will be tickets available at the door. Really hope to see you there!
2. Two great shows at The Rogue next week
- T. Nile CD Release on Thursday May 30th at 8pm at St. James Hall This show is DEFINITELY ON! We had a bit of a technological glitch with Facebook and ended up trying to postpone the show. However, all is well again and we look forward to some stunning new music from Galiano Island's favourite songbird celebrating her new collection of original songs - Beachfires. For tickets and more details click here.
- Searson, Celtic Canadiana from Ottawa Valley, Friday May 31stat 8pm at St. James Hall. Sisters Erin and Colleen Searson bring fiddle, piano, step dancing and songs all the way to the west coast from their homes in the Ottawa Valley - one of the most fertile and unique musical regions in the country! Erin (piano, guitar, vocals) was last here with The StepCrew in July 2018 and this time she brings her sister Colleen (fiddle, step-dancing) and one or two other musicians to bring us their captivating repertoire and joie de vivre. Click here for more details and tickets.
3. VFMF ticket deal for Rogues is STILL ON!
The Vancouver Folk Music Festival runs July 19-21 at Jericho Beach Park. It's one of the musical highlights of the year for so many of us! Fully paid-up Rogue Folk members can call 604-732-1305 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain the discount code (10% off the Early Bird price) right up to July 10th!
If you're not a member yet, or you think your membership may have lapsed, contact us or join - or rejoin - online from our website www.roguefolk.com
Watch out for details of the special Mission Folk Festival ticket discount deals for Rogues, too! That festival takes place at Fraser River Heritage Park in Mission BC July 26-28.
4. AGM notice
The Rogue Folk Club is an incorporated non-profit Society and as such we need to hold an Annual General Meeting. This year's AGM will take place on Saturday July 6th at 6pm at St. James Hall, right before the concert that night with Victoria's gypsy Jazz combo Brishen (featuring Quinn Bachand on guitar) who launch their 3rd CD that evening. There will also be trad. fiddle and vocal music from Quebec duo Zigue. We encourage ALL Rogue Folk members to come to the AGM - and then stick around for some superb acoustic string wizardry!
5. Call for Board members
We are looking for a couple of Board members to join our Board in July. We only have 6-10 meetings per year, but we encourage interested folks to contribute to our Society by helping out on committees and helping us raise money to keep our unique programming alive. If you are interested in joining the Board, please contact email@example.com
6. Radio Waves
On this week's Saturday Edge On Folk - every Saturday from 8am to noon on CiTR fm 101.9 and www.citr.ca - I'll have loads of new music by the likes of Hazmat Modine, Daoiri Farrell, Kathryn Tickell, Irish Mythen, Old Man Luedecke, and old favourites you won't hear anywhere else - such as Four Men & Dog's Wrap It Up, or The Bad Shepherds with a Celtic cover of The Jam's Going Underground! Please join me on this weekly wild ride through the wide world of Roots music!