Garnet Rogers' 27th and final Rogue show sells out! Jay Knutson revives the Early Spirit (Of The West) with a hot band
1. Garnet Rogers, Saturday September 23rd, 8pm, St. James Hall (3214 West 10th Avenue)
This show is Sold Out. I hope you booked your tickets in time, for this will be Garnet's last show out west on this tour - and he likely won't make the long road trip out here again.
I checked the Roguestory section of our website just now and counted up no less than 26 previous concerts by Garnet, dating back to The Savoy in 1987! Strangely, his last concert here was back in 2011, since when he's released a fine CD, Summer's End (2014), and he's also published his memoir, Night Drive - Travels With My Brother. He'll have plenty of copies of both at the show.
If you're coming to the show, Garnet asks that you please bring something for the local Food Bank. We'll have a box by the entrance door to collect these items.
2. Early Spirit, Friday September 29th, 8pm, St. James Hall (3214 West 10th Avenue)
Jay Knutson, one of the three original members of Spirit Of The West, teams up with young Celtic / jazz fiddler Gabriel Dubreuil, bassist Will Ross, and percussionist Ben Kelly (son of Geoffrey Kelly, another founding Spirit) to present new takes on the songs he wrote for SOTW back in the day. These songs will be spiced up with fiddle tunes and newer songs. It promises to be an amazing night! Tickets and information can be found here.
3. Don Ross & Calum Graham, Thursday October 5th, 8pm, St. James Hall (3214 West 10th Avenue)
Two brilliant Canadian guitar poets team up the following week, showcasing their new CDs (Don's A Million Brazilian Civilians, and Calum's Tabula Rasa) with solo sets and some stirring duets from their 2013 collaborative CD, 12:34. This will be Don's 27th show, dating back to 1988, and Calum's gig will be the first time at The Rogue for this brilliant young guitarist and singer from Alberta. Details and tickets here.
4. Trio Da Kali, Friday October 6th, 8pm, St. James Hall (3214 West 10th Avenue)
We team up with Caravan World Rhythms to present a show with this amazing trio of acoustic musicians from Mali, West Africa. Trio Da Kali have just released a remarkable CD, Ladilikan, with the renowned Kronos Quartet (World Circuit Records). I'm sure they will play most - if not all those songs, even without the Kronos strings. The Trio consists of Fode Lassana Diabate (balofon - an ancient wooden xylophone), Hawa Kasse Mady Diabaté (one of Mali's most popular and impressive female singers), and Mamadou Kouyate (bass ngoni - a precursor of the banjo. He is the eldest son of Bassekou Kouyate, who brought his fine band to St. James Hall a few years ago - and to the Vancouver Folk Music Festival a couple of times, most recently in 2016). Details of this show can be found here.
5. Venue Renovations New flooring was installed in the green room this week. Next week the ventilation fans will be installed in the ceiling, and the bar will have a new floor as well. Soon there will also be more windows at the north end upstairs, and 3 of the 4 windows on the east side will be openable! The dance floor will be replaced in December, and the rolling pews will be replaced with folding chairs. Remaining pews will eventually be upholstered, and there will be better lighting and better washroom facilities within the next 12 months as well. The City replaced the roof tiles last month and there has been a lot of work done on details and facilities within the venue. Amazing! St. James still needs donations - which will be matched by the City - to complete this work. For more information visit www.sjcommunitysquare.org 6. Radio Waves On this week's edition of The Saturday Edge On Folk (Saturday 8am to noon, on CiTR fm 101.9 and www.citr.ca) I'll have Early Spirit playing LIVE at 11am. Before then I'll also have new releases by the likes of Trio Da Kali & Kronos Quartet, Offa Rex, Banda Magda, Petunia & The Vipers (Rickshaw, October 7th), Joan Osborne (covering Bob Dylan), The Deep Dark Woods, Eliana Cuevas, Usher's Island, Martin Simpson, Habadekuk, Bokante and Vasen. I'll also be spinning new music by upcoming Rogues like Rick Scott & Nico Rhodes, Little Miss Higgins, Russell deCarle, Don Ross, and Calum Graham. I'll have an extended feature on the brilliant Irish group The Gloaming too (Chan Centre, October 15th). I hope you can join me!